These Blueberry Cheese Thumbprint Cookies are made with buttery cookie dough coated with crisp cheddar cheese and filled with melty blueberry jam. They are the perfect quick and tasty cookie recipe to bake up for the holidays!
Thumbprint cookies are a holiday favorite and a snack favorite for me. They are easy to make and customize too. These Blueberry Cheese Thumbprint Cookies are a fun spin on the traditional recipe.
They are similar to the classic Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies recipe I previously posted. However, I rolled these cookies with grated cheddar cheese instead of serving them plain this time.
The grated cheese will crisp up in the oven, creating a nice crunchy exterior on the cookies. It also makes them a little bit savory. If you love the sweet and salty combo, I think you will love this recipe.
Fill The Jam After Baking The Cookies
I have tried adding the jam before and after baking the cookies. When I baked the cookies with the jam already filled in, the jam seeped into the dough and make the cookies soggy. If you are aiming for crisp cookies all throughout, make sure to add the jam after baking the cookies. Then, bake the filled cookies again to set the jam.
Best Thumbprint Cookies Tips
- Measure the flour correctly. It is so easy to over-measure flour when using cups, causing the cookies to be too hard and cracking when shaped. When measuring the flour for these cookies, make sure to spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife.
- The dough is too crumbly. After you add the flour to the cookie dough, it will look a little crumbly at first. This is normal. The dough will eventually come together as you continue mixing.
- Don’t use your thumb. I know that these cookies are called thumbprint cookies for a reason. However, I don’t really recommend pressing the cookies down with your thumb. Whenever I press these cookies down with my thumb, the indents usually end up uneven or too big to my liking. Use a tool with a small cylindrical shape instead.
More Cookies Recipes
- Matcha Wreath Cookies
- Zebra-Striped Shortbread Cookies
- Palm Cheese Cookies
- Pandan Gula Melaka Butter Cookies
- Coffee Bean Cookies
- Cheddar Cheese Snowball Cookies