These Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies are a crisp, buttery twist on the classic chocolate chip cookies, made with only 7 ingredients only.
Do you love chocolate chip cookies? Are you a fan of crisp or chewy cookies? If you love crisp chocolate chip cookies, these Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies are perfect for you. These cookies are perfectly crisp, buttery, and tender shortbread cookies studded with finely chopped chocolate.
While I usually prefer soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies, I could not stop eating these cookies. Each bite is filled with delicious buttery flavor from shortbread cookies with chunks of rich bittersweet chocolate. They are so good you will want to keep this in the freezer for sudden cookie craving. Moreover, this recipe is so easy to whip up with just a few quality ingredients.
Chocolate chips are pretty great, but I prefer using a good quality dark chocolate instead. When using a chocolate bar, give a rough chop before they go into the dough. Of course, if you don’t love chocolate, you can always make this without it, which is also completely delicious in its own way. The basic dough is so versatile and all you need to do is to peruse your pantry and experiment with delicious variations.
Use this cookie base for other add-ins with the same volume provided in the recipe.
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruits
- Chop the chocolate finely, but you will not want it too fine. If the chocolate chunk is too big, it will be harder to cut the cookie log into slices. Meanwhile, when your chocolate comes in little shards, your cookie dough will be too muddy and uniform. Therefore, you want a good ratio of small shards and some chunks.
- You need to slice the cookie log into 1/3 to 1/2-inch or 8-12 cm slices. It tends to break apart when you cut it into thinner slices.
- If the cookie dough splits or breaks apart during slicing, just piece it back together into a round.
- Don’t bake these cookies longer than stated in the recipe because the chocolate at the bottom tends to get burnt easily.
Make These Cookies in Advance
These Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies can be made several days in advance. After you make the cookie log, you can refrigerate it, covered, for up to 3 days prior to baking.
If you are making the shortbread dough longer than 3 days ahead of time, it is best to freeze it. You can simply place the cookie log in an airtight container and freeze up to three months. Thaw it the night before in the fridge, then slice and bake the dough as directed.
More Shortbread Cookies Recipes
Are you a shortbread cookie fan? If you do, don’t miss out on these recipes!
- Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies
- Matcha Shortbread Cookies
- Masala Chai Shortbread Cookies
- Zebra-Striped Shortbread Cookies
- Zebra-Striped Matcha Shortbread Cookies