This Tiramisu Layer Cake is light, soft, moist, and soaked with coffee liqueur syrup, and filled with irresistible mascarpone frosting between each layer. No raw eggs and a strong coffee flavor is guaranteed.
I am super excited to share with you one of the best cakes I have ever made, Tiramisu Layer Cake. What makes it the best? The cake itself is moist, airy, light, and not overly sweet. Therefore, the texture of the cake allows to easily soak up the coffee liqueur syrup which flavors the cake. The robust coffee is contrasted with the delicate flavor of layers of mascarpone on each layer. When combined, they create intense, rich, and intoxicating flavors in your mouth that’s just beyond everything.
How Do You Make Classic Tiramisu?
When making tiramisu, the ladyfingers are soaked in a coffee mixture of espresso, liqueur, and sugar. The crunchy cookies become soft once soaked in the mixture. Next, the ladyfingers are layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, liqueur, and mascarpone cheese. Tiramisu is finally finished with a dusting of rich cocoa powder, the key component of its taste and appearance.
About Tiramisu Layer Cake
Tiramisu Layer Cake is my adaptation of the classic Italian tiramisu dessert. Instead of using ladyfingers, I opt for an airy and fluffy sponge cake that can soak up lots of moisture from the coffee syrup.
Look around for tiramisu recipes and you will notice there are two common ways to make the mascarpone cream. The classic one is made with beaten raw eggs. Not everyone eats raw eggs so I decided to use the second alternative with whipped cream. Moreover, the whipped cream version will be easier to work with as the frosting.
In summary, This Tiramisu Layer Cake is basically coffee-infused sponge cake layers frosted with creamy lightly sweetened mascarpone cream, then dusted with cocoa powder.
Can You Make This Without Alcohol?
While Marsala wine is traditional in tiramisu, you can absolutely make a perfectly delicious dessert without it. If you are okay with using alcohol, you can substitute the wine for dark rum, brandy, coffee-flavored liqueur like Kahlua, or almond liqueur like Amaretto.
Components of Tiramisu Layer Cake
These are four components you need before assembling the cake: sponge cake, coffee syrup, mascarpone frosting, and cocoa powder dusting.
- Sponge Cake. I use a basic genoise cake for this recipe. It is perfect for tiramisu cake because it is very airy, light, and not overly sweet. The texture is perfect to absorb lots of syrup for an extra layer of flavor. Beat the whole eggs together with sugar, over warm water until the sugar is no longer grainy and the mixture is light. Then, add melted butter to make a more tender and flavorful crumb. The cake is also firmer and studier, perfect for making layers cake because it holds the structure.
- Coffee Syrup. It is simply the solution of sweetened strong espresso. Brust this on top of the sponge cake layers to make the cake moist. You can also add a little bit of liquor. Marsala wine is the traditional choice. You can also alternatively use dark rum, brandy, Kahlua, or Amaretto.
- Mascarpone Frosting. The mascarpone does not need to be at room temperature. Hence, you can just leave it out of the fridge for a couple of minutes to soften slightly as it softens very quickly. If the mascarpone is warm then it is actually easier to over whisk it. Then, add whipped cream and mix until well combined.
- Cocoa Powder Dusting. Last but not least, finish the cake with cocoa powder dusting because.. it is a tiramisu cake.
Ok, now we are ready to assemble the cake. Do not forget to cool the sponge cake completely after baking. I also like to chill the cake for at least an hour in the fridge to speed up the process. It is important to let the cake fully chill before you start to frost the cake because any residual heat will melt the frosting.
More Tiramisu Recipes
Do you love tiramisu? Check out also these delicious recipes!
- No-Bake Tiramisu Cake
- Individual Matcha Tiramisu Cups
- Eggless Matcha Tiramisu Cake
- Tiramisu Ice Cream Layer Cake
- Eggless Hojicha Tiramisu Cake
More Cake Recipes
Looking for a perfect cake that fits every occasion? You are gonna love these!
- Japanese Strawberry Shortcake
- Naked Carrot Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Cake
- Steamed Chocolate Cream Cheese Layered Cake