Tiramisu Ice Cream Layer Cake is a no-bake, no-churn, frozen version of everyone’s favorite tiramisu. It consists of layers of ladyfingers soaked in coffee syrup and layered with vanilla and coffee mascarpone ice cream.
I love tiramisu so much. If you are a fan of tiramisu like me, I believe that you are gonna love this Tiramisu Ice Cream Layer Cake recipe.
This ice cream cake comes with a strong coffee flavor, rich creamy mascarpone, a hint of liqueur, and ladyfingers biscuits. The ice cream is perfectly soft and silky although it is made without an ice cream maker with all the classic tiramisu flavors. A hint of bitter cocoa powder on top is the perfect foil for all the creamy sweetness below.
How Do You Make Classic Tiramisu?
When making tiramisu, the ladyfingers are soaked in a coffee mixture of espresso, liqueur, and sugar. The crunchy cookies become soft once soaked in the mixture. Next, the ladyfingers are layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, liqueur, and mascarpone cheese. Tiramisu is finally finished with a dusting of rich cocoa powder, the key component of its taste and appearance.
Tiramisu Ice Cream Layer Cake Components
Classic tiramisu itself is made with espresso-dipped ladyfingers layered with mascarpone cream. Well, my version has all of that but I made it with a stronger coffee flavor. Here are the components of my recipe:
- Ladyfingers. They are finger-shaped pieces of biscuits. When dipped with espresso, they become soft like a sponge cake texture without completely disintegrating.
- Coffee syrup. This is the liquid for dipping the ladyfingers. It is made from a mixture of instant coffee, sugar, water, and liqueur. You can also use strong espresso to substitute instant coffee. If you taste the syrup all by itself it would be too strong. You will need it strong here because the flavor is muted in frozen foods.
- Mascarpone Ice Cream. This mascarpone ice cream is made just like for making the mascarpone cream in classic tiramisu. Egg yolks and sugar are cooked over a double boiler until thick and smooth. Then, it is incorporated with mascarpone and whipped cream until well combined. I also add a little bit of liqueur here because alcohol can make the ice cream softer.
- Coffee Mascarpone Ice Cream. This is the same component with mascarpone ice cream, but the coffee flavor is added here just to make each layer tastes different and not boring. Instant coffee is a key ingredient here because it produces the strongest coffee flavor. You can absolutely skip adding the coffee and make it plain.
- Cocoa Powder Dusting. Last but not least, finish the cake with cocoa powder dusting.
The Secret of Soft Ice Cream
If you wonder how I get to have a creamy, smooth texture, a soft consistency, and a full body in my ice cream without using an ice cream maker, make sure not to skip these ingredients.
- Egg yolks. Egg yolks improve stability and reducing the ice cream tendency to melt. It also works to thicken the ice cream base and gives the finished ice cream a richer taste and creamier mouthfeel.
- Liqueur. Adding alcohol lowers the freezing point of a liquid and creates softer ice cream. Make sure not to add too much because it can make the ice cream soupy and not freezing.
- Whipped cream. The air makes the ice cream light and fluffy and easy to scoop. Although the recipe does not call for using an ice cream maker, you still get some fluffiness from the air trapped in whipped cream.
Tips For Cutting Ice Cream Cake
Cutting a solid ice cream cake may sound like a big challenge. The key to cutting ice cream cake perfectly lies in how to keep the knife warm. Make sure to dip a metal knife into hot water before each cut, then wipe it clean before slicing. Slice into the cake with a warm and dry knife. Repeat the dipping, wiping, and slicing until you get your desired number of portions.
More Tiramisu Recipes
Hey tiramisu lovers, don’t forget to check out also these tiramisu recipes!
- Tiramisu Layer Cake
- Eggless Matcha Tiramisu Cake
- Individual Matcha Tiramisu Cups
- No-Bake Tiramisu Cake
- Eggless Hojicha Tiramisu Cake