These Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies are soft and chewy, perfectly spiced, dotted with juicy sweet and tangy dried cranberries. If you are not a fan of dried cranberries, use this oatmeal cookies recipe as the base for other add-ins.
Oatmeal cookies are a timeless classic. They are one of the sweet treats that I have been enjoying since childhood. I love all kinds of oatmeal cookies, but I know that some people hate raisins in their oatmeal cookies.
The oatmeal cookies I am sharing here are soft and chewy through the center with crispy edges. The flavor is a warm blend of nutty oats and brown sugar, with hints of cinnamon, and studded with plump sweet-tangy dried cranberries. This is my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe and always sure to satisfy my cookie cravings.
Choosing the Oats
There is quite a selection when it comes to choosing oats from rolled oats, quick-cooking oats, and instant oats.
- Rolled oats are less processed than quick oats, thus retaining more nutrients. When you make oatmeal cookies with rolled oat, the whole oats are clearly visible in the cookies and the cookies’ texture is slightly chewy.
- Quick-cooking oats are rolled oats that have been broken down into smaller pieces and enables them to cook more quickly. They have a slightly finer texture and cookies that are made with this type of oats tend to look prettier because they give a baked good a very uniform texture. I
- Instant oats are much finer than quick-cooking oats and it simply needs hot water added. They tend to absorb more moisture and can alter the texture of the cookies.
Rolled oats and quick-cooking oats are great for oatmeal cookies. A lot of recipes will call for rolled oats for a chewier texture. However, I personally like to use quick-cooking oats for cookies as they tend to be more uniform and softer. Honestly, no matter which oat you choose, the cookies are going to taste incredible. It is just a texture preference.
Today’s Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies is my favorite base oatmeal cookies recipe. If you are not a fan of dried cranberries, use this oatmeal cookies recipe as the base for other add-ins with the same volume provided in the recipe.
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate chunks
- Chopped nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Other dried fruits
More Cookie Recipes
While you are here, don’t forget to check out my other cookie recipes!
- Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies
- Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- Super Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond White Chocolate Matcha Cookies
- Nutella Stuffed Cookies