A super light, moist, and ultra chocolatey Dairy-Free Chocolate Banana Bread will become the best chocolate banana bread you will ever have! It makes a great breakfast on the go or as a dessert.
Do you have some brown spotty bananas sitting on your counter? That means they are perfect for whipping up something delicious, like this Dairy-Free Chocolate Banana Bread.
This ultra chocolatey, homemade chocolate banana bread recipe is super easy to make. It is also incredibly light, tender, fluffy, moist, infused with banana flavor, and loaded with chocolate chips inside out.
This Dairy-Free Chocolate Banana Bread will be the best chocolate banana bread you will ever have. It keeps moist for days and can be your next breakfast or top it off with some ice cream as a dessert.
Secrets Ingredients For The Best Chocolate Banana Bread
- Oil instead of butter. To attain moist banana bread, we are going to use oil instead of butter here. Vegetable oil contributes moistness far more reliably, a result of the fact that oil remains liquid at room temperature while butter solidifies. Liquid contributes to the sensation of moistness, and therefore cakes made with oil tend to be moister.
- Brown sugar. I use brown sugar instead of regular granulated sugar in this recipe. Brown sugar has molasses which absorbs moisture and keeps your cake moist longer. It also adds a nice caramelly flavor to the banana bread. You can use both light and dark brown sugar in this recipe. If you want deeper flavors, go with dark brown sugar, but if you don’t want the molasses to overpower the banana flavor in the recipe, go with light brown sugar.
- Overripe bananas. For the best banana flavor, I highly recommend using overripe bananas, but not mushy and way too brown.
- Dutch-process cocoa powder. Dutch-process cocoa powder has a more intense chocolatey flavor while natural cocoa looks lighter in color and tastes milder. You can use both of them in this recipe, but make sure to choose a good one because most of the flavor comes from cocoa powder.
- Good quality melty chocolate chips. For the ultimate chocolate banana bread experience unlike any others, make sure to use really good chocolate. And if you are not a fan of chocolate chips, feel free to substitute them with the chopped chocolate bar of your choice.
- Line the pan with parchment paper hanging over its edges. This will make removing the banana bread much easier from a loaf pan. Plus, this method will not ruin your melty chocolate top.
- Whip eggs with sugar until ribbony. Bananas are rather heavy and may cause the cake to be too dense. Beating eggs and sugar will incorporate air into the mixture for a light, soft, and fluffy cake.
- Don’t overmix. Overmixing may end up deflating the air you spent on whipping the eggs and gluten may form causing the cake to be tough and dry. Hence, top mixing once everything is just combined.
- Don’t overbake. Take it out of the oven when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in the pan. Once banana bread is cooked, let the bread cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes to solidify. Remove the banana bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cool completely before cutting. Slicing banana bread when still warm can cause it to crumble. Make sure it is completely cooled and use a serrated knife to cut it.
This Dairy-Free Chocolate Banana Bread keeps very well and will stay moist for 3-4 days at room temperature. Make sure that the bread is fully cooled before storing. Keep it in an airtight container in a cool place on the counter.
If you want to extend the shelf life of your banana bread, store it in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze it for up to 3 months. Refrigerators tend to be very drying environments. When you choose to store a banana bread in the fridge, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep the moisture of the bread inside the loaf. When you take the banana bread out of the fridge to eat, you may want to microwave or place it quickly in the toaster.
More Chocolate Desserts
- Sour Cream Double Chocolate Muffins
- Moist Steamed Chocolate Cake
- Double Chocolate Sable Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Cake (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Double Chocolate Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Espresso Granola