These Sfogliatine Glassate look fancy on the outside, but they are actually super simple and quick to make with just 4 ingredients only.
Sfogliatine Glassate is perfectly described by the Italian word sfoglia which means “sheets,” and glassate which means “frosted.” These delicious Italian treats are made from sheets of puffed pastry, topped with a thin layer of sweet icing and jam crossed over. The icing bakes as little flakes of meringue that crack along the lines of the jam and create a lovely pattern on the top.
They are so easy and fast to make with just 4 ingredients. You only need frozen puff pastry sheets, confectioners’ sugar, egg white, and jam. It is as simple as cutting the puff pastry sheets, glazing them, piping the pattern with the jam, and baking until perfectly crispy.
- Puff Pastry. I used ready-made frozen puff pastry sheets to make the recipe. However, you can definitely make your own from scratch if desired.
- Glaze/Icing. The icing is made by mixing sifted confectioners’ sugar and egg white until well incorporated. Then, the icing is brushed on top of each pastry. When baked, the icing will become a thin crispy layer of meringue on top of the puff pastry.
- Jam. Strawberry jam and apricot jam are usually used for making Sfogliatine Glassate. You can also use other types of fruit jam. You will need to strain the jam first to remove the lumps or they will clog your piping bag. Cut the tip of your piping bag as tiny as possible. Then, draw some Xs pattern on top of the icing.
More Puff Pastry Recipes
- Puff Pastry Palmier Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Puff Pastry
- Puff Pastry Salmon
- Simple Puff Pastry Egg Tart
- Apple Rose Puff Pastry